Thursday, July 04, 2024

The New American Faith

Reading scripture should disturb you.  Whenever I meet a Christian believer who is not struggling with their view of God, I can be confident that:

A. They have made peace with the Bible being a human product.

B. They do not actively read their bible or they read their bible through the filter of their church.

Whenever a believer tells me that the solution to my lack of belief is to read the Bible, I have to suppress a chuckle.  

I have read it.  Memorized whole books of it that still come flooding back to me with the right trigger.

I am fully aware of the twisted behavior of Yahweh in the scriptures. Behaviors that only get a pass because he is "God".  Otherwise, any right-thinking person would be horrified.

Of course, I am an old-school protestant atheist.  I like to dig into the nuts and bolts of theology and scripture.

But the new faith in America is a mere totem.  It has no systematic theology.  Faith only exists as a buttress to politics.  When I go to the social media pages of folks of my former evangelical tribe, they are not talking about Jesus.  They are raging against immigrants crossing the border.  They are calling on the names of their media hosts to inform and save them.  They post about all of their political fears and enemies.  They want Barabbas, not Jesus.

I don't think most folks claiming the name Christian nowadays would have any interest in discussing the moral implications of Romans 9.  They have a 2nd amendment rally to attend.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails