Friday, November 02, 2012

The Loyal Opposition


You have probably heard the term "Loyal Opposition".  Simply put, it means that parties may be in opposition, but they still have a loyalty and dedication to a common, good cause.  They differ as how to accomplish good... but they want to see good done, and are happy if their opposition is successful in accomplishing that good.

I am basically a liberal democrat and I have many friends who are conservative republicans.  However, they are not all the same.  They not only differ on issues within their own sphere but they also differ on how they view liberal democrats.  Some know we are simply a political group with different solutions and different priorities.  Others believe we are god-haters intent on destroying America and must be opposed at all costs.

My brother put on his blog, a few years ago, a call to say something kind, unequivocally, about the candidate you oppose.  He believed it would be a good exercise to help keep political discussions civil.  It can become too easy for negative thoughts, unchecked, to snowball into unreasonable disdain and contempt.

So, in that spirit, let me take a moment to compliment Candidate Romney.

I give him points for his marriage longevity.  Anyone in a marriage has, at some point, considered bailing (and I acknowledge that can occasionally be the best option).  Every marriage has its low points. He has the resources to make divorce much easier than most, and yet, he hung in there.  He obviously takes his role as father and husband seriously and I respect him for that.

I appreciate his fiscal conservatism. I think, at the end of the day, he wants to make sure we are not spending more than we take in; a good place to govern from.


I believe, should he become president, he would genuinely work to do a good job and make America the best it can be.  We will differ on perspective and priorities, but I do not doubt that he is a man of good intent.


So how about you?  Who is your opposition?  What are three nice things you might say about him or her?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails