Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I think Richard Rohr may become my new favorite author

Richard Rohr was one of the speakers at the Emergent Church conference in Albuquerque last month. He is a Franciscan priest and his organization, the Center for Action and Contemplation, hosted the event. Although I had not read his books or heard him speak before; I left the conference determined to get some of his books in my collection.

I have been listening to some of his audio on the web, and I was really drawn to this quote by him:

"Judgment is not, by and large, a search for Truth. It is certainly not a path toward Love. What it is, is a search for control - a way that the Ego positions itself as better, righter, above, correct, in charge, in control. Once you see that... judgment starts losing its fascination. My great disappointment in so much of institutional religion is that it actually trains us to be judgmental".

5 comments:

Redlefty said...

You're right -- great quote!

Bob said...

Hey, you and I agree on something! I am a fan of Rohr, as well as Ian Morgan Cron, and, thus, of St. Francis. These guys speak and I feel very small . . . but blessed.

Andrew said...

I am presently waiting for two Rhor books at the library to come in... can't wait.

I was taught to be rather anti-catholic in the Christian circles I grew up in. Ironic that now so many of my favorite authors are Catholic.

Trey said...

I'm a friend of Chad Braunersrither who steered me to your blog. I've admired Richard Rohr's work since 1991 or so, having listened to many of his tapes and lectures. I participated in a Men's Rite of Passage in 2002 at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico--the last one headed by Richard himself. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Andrew said...

Trey - too cool! I would love to go down to NM for one of their retreats on contemplative prayer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails