Saturday, April 23, 2022

Wormhole

This happens to me every day teaching 2nd grade.  Be it their math book, interactive remote, or box of crayons... it goes down like this -

Me: Ok, take out your math book, remote, and a pencil.

Student: Mr. Hackman someone took my remote.

Me:  Could you do me a favor and double-check?

Student: Nope, it's not here.

Me: Could someone sitting next to him check his desk, please?

Student 2:  Nope, it's not there.

Me:  You do realize, in a moment, I am going to walk over there and pull the remote out of the desk, right?

Student: It REALLY is not here.

I then walk over, reach in, and pull the remote out of the desk.  The students stare at me like I just accessed an extra-dimensional wormhole.

This is why I don't put a lot of stock into 2nd grade state-standardized tests.  🙂


2 comments:

Bob said...

OK I'll bite, but what, in this context, is a "remote?" I'm sure I'm showing my age and ignorance! :-)

Andrew said...

Bob -It looks like a TV remote. The kids use it to respond to questions I ask or write on the board. If I put 223 + 345 on the board... the kids respond on the remote and all of their answers, anonymously, get put on a graph on the board. It has a lot more available than that... but that is the gist.

Related Posts with Thumbnails