Monday, March 28, 2022

Holy Gwappo

Like Deadpool's buddy... don't count on me to not spill the beans.  I will sing like a canary.

I had a kidney stone that had to be retrieved. They put in a stent and removed it a week later.

Let me tell you... next time I'll keep the kidney stone.

I knew this was not going to be good.  The nurse said he was going to give me a numbing agent... but it shouldn't hurt.

And yet, it did.

So already this was following the pattern of a bladder scope they did on me a few years ago.  They too said the numbing agent wouldn't hurt.  They too said that the numbing agent should keep me from experiencing any real pain from the scope.  So when they told me today that I shouldn't feel much, I broke out in a cold sweat and fought the urge to run from the room.

And yep... it hurt.  Needle being pushed through your urethra hurt.

Apparently, other humans get numbed by the stuff they shoot up your willy... but me not so much.

I was breathing like a woman giving birth and blurting out uncontrolled gasps as that stent grabber pushed its way toward the target.  A procedure that should only be a few minutes seemed to be taking forever.

"We're past your bladder... almost there!" my doctor encouraged while the nurse told me to slow down my breathing.

Then it hit.  THE pain.  The most I have ever felt.

"HOLY GWAPPO!!!" I yelped.

"Holy gwappo??" the nurse and doc said in unison.

"I have no idea what that meant," I laughed painfully.  "Apparently years of elementary teaching filters out swearing even under the most ardent stress."

I have a feeling for the rest of the day I was known as the holy gwappo patient.  🙂

Anyway, that experience made me think of this scene from Deadpool.  I would totally be like TJ Miller's character.


3 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh my goodness, I hope that is the end of that.
Take good care, oh, and swear all you want. What you described sounds very swear worthy to be sure.

Bob said...

I have had the kidney stones and I've had this procedure. My urologist is not allowed to perform any procedure like this on me with a half-ass "numbing agent." I have to be totally OUT, and I mean OUT under general anesthesia. I'll sign every disclaimer, covenant not to sue, etc. that is available, in triplicate, but he is not touching that part of my body to perform any procedure unless I am more dead than alive. If "holy gwappo" is all you said, you are a better man than I. I hope you are up and around and doing better. So sorry. I'm feeling your pain and crossing my legs as I read this.

Andrew said...

Thanks, Sherry! Good to hear from you! I hope you are well.

Bob - yeah... I will NEVER do that again. Unconcious or nothing. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails