Thursday, December 05, 2019

Four More Years of Trump

We will have Trump for four more years.

And we may get worse after that.

I don't want to be a pessimist... but I just think that is where we are at the moment.

Many Americans simply have no interest in being good, doing right... they just want to WIN (whatever that means).

There is a post going around again at the moment... the one where "Andy Rooney" or "Paul Harvey" (it varies as to authorship) talks about how Christians aren't going to "take it" anymore. They are going to fight to make everyone pray in schools and so forth because this is a "Christian Nation". Love it or leave it.

I wrote a response, which I have been pasting in anytime I see this piece. It says -
"But no one is asking you not to pray... pray away. We are just asking that you don't grab the microphone and put it over the loudspeaker.
If I am not mistaken, Jesus was all for that idea.
If I go to a believer's home and they desire to pray over a meal, I will sit quietly while they do so. It is their home.
When they come to my house, they are welcome to pray quietly over their meal. I don't mind.
However, when it comes to government and schools, I am not ok with someone grabbing the mic and praying for the reasons I listed above. When a Christian grabs the mic at a school football game, they are saying it is THEIR home... and I am just a guest.
But no, it is not their home... and it is not my home. It is our home. We both have every right to be here... and I will not be made to feel like a visitor in my own home.
I think most people, theists and non-theists, can get along fairly well... we just need to respect reasonable boundaries."
I got this reply yesterday -
"Andrew Hackman phuck off...if I have access to the mic and you don't...poor baby!
You damn Snowflakes-R-Us minions think being offended is somehow a crime.
News Flash: this is a Christian based nation and here you are...deal with it."
To varying degrees, that is where a lot of America is today. This person has no interest in fairness, understanding, empathy, discussion. He wants to win and he wants you to lose. There is so little thought in his worldview that he is viciously standing up for his "Christian Nation"... with behavior Jesus would rebuke.

Trump didn't happen by accident. He reflects America. Until we change that, "Trump" will be our consequence.

1 comment:

Bob said...

I think what you have to do, Andrew, is stop paying attention to losers like the one you quoted here. Unfortunately, social media has provided a platform to folks who are hateful and mean, and in desperate need for attention. It’s hard to leave them alone, but in my view it’s the best tactic for dealing with them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails