Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The President Wants To Encourage Students To Do Well... What An Outrage!!

I posted this article last year when this issue came up.  Here we go again.  My daughter had to get signed permission to view a speech from the President of the United States at school.

________________________

I try. I really want to keep an open mind when it comes to conservative politics and issues. I know that the best way usually sits between the two poles that extremists on both sides propagate.

For those of you just tuning in, next Tuesday at 11am central time, the President of the United States will be giving an address to the students of America "challenging students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning."

I have been teaching for 18 years. If ANY president (Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc.) were doing (or had done) this, I would take the opportunity to have my students watch. This is America and the President is going to speak to our students.

No brainer right?

Not if you listened to talk radio today! Here are some highlights:
  • "He's recruiting his civilian army. His 'Hitler' youth brigade,"
  • "Totalitarian regimes around the world have sought to spread their propaganda and entrench their power by brainwashing the children."
  • "I don't care what the heck he's going to talk about, unless he holds a teaching degree for every state, and he plans on actually TEACHING a lesson, this SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!!!"
  • "What's he going to do, tell the kids to report their parents to the Thought Police if they don't support Obamacare?"
  • "It essentially tries to force kids to say the president and the presidency is inspiring, and that's very problematic,"
  • “I think it's inappropriate because it smacks of political indoctrination of the worst kind,”
Oh Boy!

Many conservatives are making it REALLY hard for us would-be independents to give the republicans the time of day. Every time I think the rhetoric can't get any weirder, it goes a notch higher!

There are actually conservative groups encouraging parents to keep their kids home that day, lest they hear the President's speech!

I think Frank Schaeffer had it right... this last election broke their brains.

In all seriousness, the Republicans need to jettison the loons (especially the talk show hosts stirring them up) while there is still some respectability in the party.

2 comments:

Logan said...

Wow...I think its official, our nation has gone collectively insane!

Bob said...

I have to agree with you on this one.

Partisanship, on BOTH sides, is keeping us from making any progress on anything in this country.

Related Posts with Thumbnails