Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Family Night at the Movies

I just got back from Caspian. Wonderful Movie.

One of my favorite parts in the book is when Lucy first speaks to Aslan. They split that conversation in two. At first I was downcast. I felt they completely downplayed one of the most important parts of the story. They brought the conversation full circle later. Well done!

I never thought in these movies that they would add a piece of Christology that was not in the book. However, I was moved by the scene at the end where all of the armies of Miraz were about to rush over the bridge. Lucy stood alone at the other end and calmly drew her dagger. No fear or excitement; complete peace. She knew who was with her.

This view was stated earlier when Lucy said to Peter, "Have you forgotten who really defeats the White Witch?" Not defeated... defeats. Their story was not past, it was being played out again. Neither are our stories past. There is always another Pharaoh, always another empire to resist.

When the four Pevensies said goodbye to Aslan at the end, my son next to me tried not to cry. He had a friend from the neighborhood with him, so he tried to hide his tears.

I talked to him about that when we got home. I let him know that his tears made me proud and happy to be his Daddy. I told him it is because he has such a big heart and that he has compassion for people. I am not sure if he understood everything I said tonight, but I wanted to make sure that he knew that his tears were something he would never have to hide from his Father.

A Wonderful Night, I am full to the brim. Thank you Mr. Lewis for once again turning my heart toward "The Son of the Emperor over the sea".

2 comments:

Redlefty said...

My 5yo daughter is clamoring so hard to see this. Alas, she's just a bit too young, I think.

We'll start the books soon.

Adam Gonnerman said...

My 10-year-old daughter started harrassing me last week to see this movie. I guess I'll have to take her. Hmmm....

I love C.S. Lewis. I just don't care for movie theaters.

Related Posts with Thumbnails