I had a friend on Facebook post a video promoting public school prayer. It was based on an email that was circulating years ago where a school child asks why God did not stop the various school shootings. A voice from heaven sarcastically replies, "Because I am not allowed in public schools anymore."I find the video very troubling. First, because people who claim the name of Christ are putting words in to God's mouth (I seem to recall that that being a commandment violation) and second, because they are just really bad words.
I went to the Facebook Causes section where the video was hosted and read some of the comments. Here are some examples:
- This was truly inspirational. Why should we stand back and let people tell us what to do. We need to step up as Children of God and put God back in schools.
- US as Christian's have to stand up and shout his name out loud and let people know he is here for us ALL of us and those who don't believe need to sit back and take good look at the world since God has been taken out
- We are definitely reaping what we have sown. Now we need to take back what the enemy has stolen from us and our children!
- When we ask..."What has happened to society?" or "What's wrong with people?" Here is your answer.
- I am Thankful to the few Teachers that still have prayer with the students in class. They are risking their jobs for our Children .
I believe the public schools are correct in choosing not to force children to pray. Christianity has a deep history of forced baptisms and conversions. Let us show that we have truly renounced that part of our past and let the issue of prayer in public schools go.