Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thank You Keith Green

I recently went to a family reunion in Natchitoches, Louisiana. I noticed that our route took us very close to Lindale, Texas. I took the opportunity to pay my respects at the grave site of Keith Green, who was a Christian singer, songwriter, and speaker during the 70s and early 80s. I also took a drive through the Last Days Ministries property which is now owned by Teen Mania.

When I was eighteen, I spent 6 months living at Last Days Ministries. Last Days was founded by Keith. I had spent my first 10 weeks in a Bible/Missions school they offered and ended up staying on for a number of months after to work at the ministry (I was there when the ministry was hit by a tornado).

Keith was truly one of my "Fathers" in the Faith. Even before my conversion at the age of fourteen, Keith was influencing my view of God through his music. He embedded within me a view of the holiness of God which continues to affect me today. His intensity for Christ was a model for me. My six months at his ministry (which was after his death) provided a vessel theologically for all of the scripture I had memorized during my years in bible quizzing.

Thank you Keith, you continue to bless me!

P.S. Through the wonders of internet technology, I have connected with Rich, a friend of mine who went through ICT at Last Days with me. Should any of you who were down at Last Days during that time read this blog - contact us!

7 comments:

SocietyVs said...

I have to admit - if it wasn't for the music of Keith Green - I wouldn't have learned about a God of love in the depth I did also - I truly respect the man!

That being said - I have diverged quite a bit from his theology - but I still love the emotion of his music!

Andrew said...

This is only supposition, but I suspect his theology would have continued to evolve. Before leaving on our trip I made up a CD of Keith Green stuff. I noticed that his earlier songs focused more on getting saved, whereas his later stuff was hitting on character development and social justice issues. He was such a powerful personality, it makes one wonder what kind of influence he would be having on Christianity today.

Redlefty said...

Yep, I'm sure his journey would have continued just as it has for the rest of us.

I can hardly identify at all with the me from 10 years ago.

Brook said...

did you try to accapella one of his songs while you stood there chewing gum, perhaps telling the others "it really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?", and then did your wife reply, "yeah, a little too much f..." (well, you know the rest).

(couldn't resist) :-)

Andrew said...

Heh... interestingly enough, that scene did not come to mind... though it should have...

Anonymous said...

Like I told you Sat morning, no one influenced my turning to Jesus more than Keith Green. Truly, I am his letter. Remember his 100,000 missionaries vision? Astounding. In the wee hours of my Damascus Road conversion I listened to "You are the One" and "Glory, Lord Jesus" over and over, joyous and tears streaming down my face. That was two months to the day before the plane crash.

Brook said...

This Youtube documentary looks pretty good (7 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6hOyx8LF4I&NR=1

Related Posts with Thumbnails